Monday, September 14, 2009

My quest to empty my pantry...

Over the last six weeks, I have decided that I needed to empty my pantry and fridge in preparation for moving. (The moving story will come in another blog later). The movers won't move food or liquid so I am trying to get rid of as much as I can so that I don't have to be the one to move it. Plus, I know that it saves money in the long run.


I went to the grocery store on Aug 2nd and picked up a few things that I needed to last me through the weekend because we were leaving the next weekend to take the boys to Alabama to their dad's house. I think I spent only about $30. When I returned home on Sunday, I decided I was going to "boycott" the grocery store since the boys weren't around for me to constantly need food and I could survive feeding myself with the things still in the fridge/freezer and pantry. So, my quest began...


Several weeks went by and I still didn't visit the store. I was able to make so many different recipes just with the things I had in my pantry. I made Chickpea and Black Bean soup, a chicken and pasta recipe, creamed spinach, and MUCH more! Many of the recipes I didn't have all of the ingredients but I was able to substitute for some things. For example, I didn't have fresh tomatoes so I used a can of diced tomatoes. I didn't have penne so I used rigatoni. I didn't have hamburger so I used ground turkey. Things were flying out of my pantry left and right! I ran out of eggs, milk, bread, and other essentials. I was finding that I needed one or two items in order to make a meal. So, I jotted down the things I would need in order to use up other items in my pantry. My list only made it to about 8 items. I was soooo thrilled! But, I didn't want to go to the store. It almost became a quest to see how long I could survive without purchasing groceries. But.....


Labor Day weekend was around the corner and I decided I was going to host a cookout. So, I had to visit the dreaded grocery store. I picked up the items I needed for the party and a few other essentials for me. I got eggs, milk, butter, a few canned items and some FRESH fruit and veggies! WOW, it was SO nice having fresh fruit and veggies again! I think I spent about $45 for the items I needed.


I hosted the party the next day and to my surprise (I am being sarcastic) there was a lot of leftover hotdogs, hamburgers, buns, and fixins. Of course being the "frugal" person I was in the last few weeks, I decided I needed to freeze the hotdogs and hamburgers and I would find something to do with the buns and fixins (tomato, lettuce, onions). Of course the leftover onions was an easy fix for me, I just sliced them up and froze them for sauteed veggie night (I purchased squash and zucchinni so I intend to use them for that). I cut up the tomatoes and added some sugar, onion, vinegar, garlic and italian seasoning to make my own pizza sauce. I intend to make "mini pizzas" with the leftover hamburger buns, the sauce I made and some shredded cheese I have in the freezer. That used to be one of my favorite lunch meals as a kid! Now, what to do with the hotdog buns....


I decided to make Google my first stop...as it generally is when I am looking for a recipe or just an answer to anything. I typed in "use for leftover hotdog buns". Lo and behold, a recipe for bread pudding came up. I have never made or eaten bread pudding so I was a little apprehensive. But, I decided I might give it a whirl. First, I decided to look up other bread pudding recipes to see how this one differed from the rest (other than the hotdog buns). I ended up finding a blog that was about bread pudding. This lady posts nothing but bread pudding recipes! I scan through the titles and one caught my eye..."Orange Marmalade Bread Pudding". WOW, that sounds good. And what do you know, I have a jar of orange marmalade in the fridge from a recipe I made weeks ago that only called for 1 tbsp. PERFECT!


I grabbed the hotdog buns and started cutting them up into little squares. I wanted to use all that I had, so it ended up being more than what the recipe called for. I decided that if I can cook, I can bake and I just decided to add a little more of the liquid ingredients to make up for the extra bread. I reluctantly prepared the recipe and stuck it in the oven. Actually, the recipe was for a slow cooker pudding but I didn't want to have to drag my slow cooker to work today to share the rest of the pudding. So, I decided I would look at other recipes and see what the general baking instructions were so that I could use a pyrex dish with a lid to take the leftovers to work. All the recipe prepared and into the oven....


45 mins later the pudding was done. I patiently waited for it to cool enough to not burn my tongue and I helped myself to the first serving. I dropped a dollop of vanilla ice cream on the top and crossed my fingers that it was good (cause I was hungry!). First bite....WOW! It was actually good...at least in my opinion. But, this is coming from someone who has never eaten bread pudding. I let the rest of the pudding cool and place it in the fridge anxious to take it to work for the critics to decide....

(See.....)
I carried the pudding into work and was stopped instantly with inquiries. I warmed the pudding up in the microwave and relecutantly left it on the counter for all to enjoy. Before I could even walk away the spoon was dipping the first serving. The guys at work tried it and said it was good. I told them that I really needed honest feedback. A little bit later some of the ladies tried it and I had two requests for the recipe. I still didn't feel like the pudding was good and that maybe they were just trying to be nice to me....


Then, I got an email from the most honest lady in my office. She said, "The pudding kicked @$$. Can I get the recipe?" This was the point when I decided that it really must have been good. This lady is the most honest person I know. When we need fashion advice, food advice, anything, she is the one to ask. We know she won't lie. So when she said it kicked @$$ I was elated! I was happy that my first bread pudding was a success!!


My quest to empty my pantry yeilded a fabulous dessert! Who would have known....

2 comments:

Mandy said...

All that reading and no recipe? I am ashamed...lol...us Bloggers love recipes!

We haven't gone to the grocery store in a while either. I told Charlie this morning that we were going to have to bite the bullet and go. We are all out of eggs, potatoes, onions, bread, milk...I just can't stand it anymore.

I am so glad you are back to bloggin!

Nichole said...

I thought about that afterwards. However, it now gives me another reason to post a new blog! YAY!!