Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 1 of Truth Challenge

Day 01 → Something you hate about yourself.

I really don't want to say I hate something about myself considering God made me the way I am so that I am different; so I will say there are things I dislike about myself. I could probably write for hours about this but the challenge says "something" which in my opinion is one thing. I contemplate whether I should say something that I am able to change...which allows me to make the resolution to change...which is what most people do in a new year. I contemplate whether I should say something that I can't change...which allows me to accept myself for who I am and who God made me to be. Yes, that sounds good....here we go. I hate my height! I am only 5' 2" tall.

Do you know the challenges that come along with being short stature? Have you ever found a fabulous dress only to try it on and it falls below the knee when it should be above the knee? Have you ever bought knee high socks that end up being thigh high socks? Have you ever bought ankle socks that end up being calf socks? Have you ever taken clothes to the tailor and realized it almost cost as much to tailor them as the original purchase? These are some of the challenges I deal with in being so short. Wow, I just realized all of these center around clothing. Just shows you how much I love shopping for clothes! :-) I've also had to purchase mainly high heeled or platform shoes in order to buy those perfect fitting jeans/pants without having to get them tailored. But, this actually has an advantage: I make myself look taller. :-) One might say, "just shop in the petite section." Have you ever tried on petite clothes? Not only are the pants lengths shorter, so is the inseam and every other measurement. That can be a problem for someone who has a normal waist but just short legs. Or a normal arm length but short legs. Some clothing companies have great fitting petite clothes and some don't. So, I just find the clothes I like and find a way to make it work for me.

I could go on an on about the challenges of being short. I'll be brief this one time...I'm learning how to accept being short....which means being short in my discussions and blogs. And if any of you know me well you will know THAT is a challenge for me! Challenge accepted.

No comments: