Saturday, January 8, 2011

Disguise those beans!


Have you ever tried to think off a clever way to sneak in vegetables your kids claim they don't like? Have you ever tried to find a clever way of using leftovers since your kids claim they don't like leftovers? I've got just the answer....Pork Casserole! I spent some time today Googling recipes to use leftover pork tenderloin. I found several that sounded interesting and I took a few ideas from each of them and came up with the following recipe:

1 lb leftover cooked pork tenderloin, chopped or cubed (or any leftover beef, poultry, pork)
2-3 tbsp bacon grease (or some other fluid such as broth to make a rue of sorts)
2 tbsp flour
1 can stewed tomatoes (chopped or close to pureed)
4 cups mixed vegetables (I used frozen succotash....the kids claim they don't like lima beans)
1 1/2 lbs potatoes (I used baby red and left the skin on)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2-3 gloves of garlic, diced
salt/pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)

1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Continue with steps 2 & 3 while potatoes are cooking.
2. Warm leftover meat and grease (or liquid) over med-high heat in a large pan. Stir in flour; cook 1 min.
3. Add mixed vegetables,and tomatoes, salt/pepper to taste; cook over med-high heat for 5 mins.
4. Drain potatoes; mix in salt/pepper to taste, garlic and sour cream; mash/whip until blended well.
5. Add meat/vegetable mixture to 9 X 11 baking dish; top with mashed potatoes.
6. Bake at 375 for 18 mins; add cheese and bake 2 mins or until cheese is melted.
7. Remove from oven; cool; serve; enjoy!

Serves about 8 people. Don't worry, this leftover will taste good (if not better) the next day.

Even though the kids didn't like succotash they ate this with no problem! My 14 year old stepson said it tasted like "hopped up mashed potatoes" or like "a KFC chicken bowl". Recipe was a success! I wouldn't call this a gourmet meal, but it was easy, tasty, and helped use things in my refrigerator/freezer and pantry that were desperately needing to be used. I hope you can find a way to use this basic recipe as is or modify it for your own needs. Happy cooking!

Last but not least, ROLL TIDE!!

No comments: